Sunday, 17 July 2011
After results, it is fitting to spend some time evaluating and reflecting on our principles and practices, our shortcomings and our vision for the future that awaits our students. In a convenient self-censored way, here are my thoughts in quotes.
1. insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results (Einstein?)
2. you cannot teach anyone if you have given up on them (mine)
3. the IB is a program for motivated students, they will succeed in a culture of learning (mine)
4. all members of the IB school community should see themselves as IB learners (JWo)
5. if you cannot take the heat, then get out of the kitchen (Harry S. Truman)
6. we all get what we deserve, whether we deserve it or not (Molly Dodd)
7. wilful ignorance disguises grim reality (Siri Hustvedt)
8. the limits of language are the limits of my world (L. Wittgenstein)
9. misunderstandings occur when no one is listening (Philipp Keel)
10. yes, we can. (Barack Obama)
("Life? Don't talk to me about life! Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you to the bridge." Marvin, The Paranoid Android in Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
Please feel free to reply to my cliched self-expression. And by the way, my students did very well.
(widows' memoir project postponed indefinitely...)