Tuesday 1 February 2011

why blog?

A week ago, while i was teaching and going through the forest of post-its that cover my book, i came across a piece of paper that said "The Dave Weckl Band --- Rythms (sic) of the soul." I stopped mid-sentence, mid-argument, mid-class. I remember who recommended the album to me; a student who graduated in 2004 and went on to study Philosophy. Against my advice. That was in another life, in another universe. But i am still teaching. So i thought it would be fitting to start my blog with a mention of this little note by K.S. (a former student turn fb friend) as a token of the continuity of what i do (or try to do), and maybe i will even attempt to document some of the coherence that i perceive but often find hard to explain.
I will be blogging for my students, friends and colleagues. I will be blogging for myself.
I will be blogging about teaching, books, my life as a boarding mentor, syllabi, nostalgia, workshops, linguistics, education in general, and the new course i'll be taking.
The little note by K.S. was wedged between pp 316 and 317 in Donna Tartt's The Secret History.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice ! I feel very honored to have had a preview of your first blog post read to me, before it was posted by Mr W.

    ReplyDelete